EVER had one of those days when you feel like all the businesses or bloggers around you are gaining media coverage and you’re not? Then you take a look at your own business or blog and struggle to find a news angle?
Interestingly, the comment I receive most in relation to PR is: “I want to promote my business/blog, but I don’t have a topic that’s newsworthy’’.
The good news is, there are plenty of opportunities right under your nose. Here are just 30 ideas for pitching yourself to the media.
- Winning a state, national or international award for business or blogging.
- Keep abreast of the news. When something newsworthy happens in your field – whether on a local, national or international level – be prepared so you can pitch yourself as an expert.
- Release a new product or service – just make sure it’s unique or has an interesting story to it.
- Publish a book. It tends to give the perception you’re an expert in a particular field – even if you’re not.
- Getting mentioned in someone else’s book.
- Host a major charity event. It doesn’t have to be an elaborate dinner and ball with a sports memorabilia auction either. Be creative.
- Raise a large amount of money through the product you’re selling and donate it to a worthy cause.
- Celebrate a milestone anniversary with your blog or business.
- Appearing at a national event. Just make sure the event organiser is comfortable with this.
- Host free classes or demonstrations in your local community by drawing on your skills base. This could range from a business course to photography classes, tai chi demonstrations or blogging sessions. It will allow you the opportunity for a preview story and coverage on the day.
- Conduct a poll or survey and use the results to form a press release about current trends in a particular area. You will need to gain a significant number of responses for this to be of interest to the media.
- National media exposure in magazines or TV shows (great for local media).
- Report a new study and include your analysis and forecasts.
- Create an event with a celebrity.
- Launch a competition that is unique. Remember the “best job in the world’’ campaign?
- When you business is awarded a new contract.
- Make a bold statement. As long as you’re willing to back yourself and you’ve done your research.
- Create a “National such-and-such Day/Week/Month’’.
- Changes within your organisation – a new CEO, start employing staff, opening of new facilities or promotions.
- Receiving a grant, scholarship or overseas study tour.
- A move into international markets with your business.
- Tie your product or business into a holiday theme – Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day etc
- Start a new or unique business or blog
- Reaching a major milestone.
- A celebrity is photographed with your product, mentions it in an interview or comments on your blog.
- Expanding or renovating the business.
- Gaining a significant new customer.
- Changing your business, product or blog name.
- Creating an award to honour individuals or business in the community.
- Opening branch offices of your business.
So there you have it. No excuses now.
Find evergreen story hooks for your business inside the 2016 PR News Calendar, a calendar that will give you story ideas to pitch the media year-round.
What ideas from this list could you use for your business or blog?